Open Accessibility Menu

Dangerous Toy Causes Fire and Death of Two Children

Dangerous Toy Causes Fire and Death of Two Children

The death of two small children in a home fire started by a defective “disco light” toy was at the center of a lawsuit handled by Attorney Steve Browning against several companies, including the distributer and retailer.
In the early morning hours, two children under eight were asleep in their room. Their newly-acquired toy, a “disco light,” an electrified sphere that emits colored lights in flashing patterns, was plugged into a wall socket. The “disco light” caught fire.
Asleep in another room, their mother was unaware of the fire until she smelled smoke and carried her children outside. Unfortunately, the children were overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning from the smoke and could not be revived.
Steve Browning comments on the cause of this tragedy: “Children are too often the victims of unthinkable things. This was a toy – it should not have been built to get hot enough to catch fire. We investigated and found this product was manufactured in China. Clearly it did not meet the strict codes that should have been imposed on it before being shipped to retailers in the U.S. It is one more example of dangerous imported products being sold to children.”
Vigorous discovery and prosecution ultimately resulted in a confidential settlement with multiple defendants on behalf of the family of the deceased children.

Attorneys Involved: