- Admiralty & Maritime Law
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Aviation Accidents -- Plaintiff
- Motor Vehicle Accidents -- Plaintiff
- Premises Liability -- Plaintiff
- Slip and Fall -- Plaintiff
- Wrongful Death -- Plaintiff
- Products Liability Law
Represented clients in aviation-related claims worldwide, including West Africa, Afghanistan, Kenya and Saudi Arabia
One of only 33 attorneys to earn Board Certification in the field of Aviation Law out of Florida
Has trial experience in the State and Federal court system, including a number claims involving the U.S. Government
Barry Newman is a Board Certified and AV-rated partner in the firm and has been a member for 19 years. His primary focus is on wrongful death and catastrophic injury claims arising from transportation accidents involving aircraft, trucks, boats, motorcycles, cars, and pedestrians. He also handles premises liability and products liability claims. He has represented plaintiffs and defendants in claims arising in Florida, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Connecticut, Oklahoma, Kansas, West Africa, Afghanistan, Kenya and Saudi Arabia and has trial experience in Kenya and various U.S. Federal and State courts.
Barry is an FAA-certified Commercial Pilot with multi-engine airplane, single-engine airplane, and instrument airplane and helicopter ratings. He has flown nearly 2000 accident, incident and violation free hours in various types of airplanes and helicopters over the past 35 years and previously volunteered as a transplant pilot for Angel Flight. He has owned five aircraft and currently flies a twin-engine Piper Seneca II.
Newman retired from the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office after serving 19 years as a certified Reserve Police Officer. Of those, he spent six years in its Aviation Unit flying hundreds of hours performing search and rescue, drug interdiction, aerial surveillance and prisoner extradition missions in the department's six airplanes and four helicopters. He also worked in other areas of the police department, including patrol, and vice.
- One of only 42 attorneys to earn Board Certification in the field of Aviation Law out of Florida's more than 100,000 licensed attorneys - Only attorneys with Board Certification may claim expertise in Aviation Law;
- Rated "AV" (Preeminent) by Martindale Hubbell peer-review rating. (The highest peer rating an attorney can achieve);
- Named Litigator of the Month by Attorney at Law magazine (September, 2018);
- Rated 10/10 by AVVO;
- Top rated as a Super Lawyer in Aviation & Aerospace by SuperLawyers since 2015;
- Named a "Florida Legal Elite";
In 2007, Newman retired from the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office after serving 19 years as a certified Reserve Police Officer. Of those, he spent six years in the Sheriff's Aviation Unit flying hundreds of hours performing search and rescue, drug interdiction, aerial surveillance and prisoner extradition missions in the department's six airplanes and helicopters. He also worked in other areas of the police department, including patrol, vice and narcotics.
Newman is also a former Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Court Civil Mediator.
He has also been specially admitted to litigate claims in the following courts on a limited basis:
- High Court of Kenya;
- District of Minnesota federal court;
- District of Kansas federal court;
- District of Oklahoma federal court;
- District of New Mexico federal court;
- The Southern District of New York federal court;
- The Southern District of California federal court;
- District of Connecticut federal court; and,
- Kentucky State Court.
- Florida Coastal School of Law, Jacksonville, Florida
- J.D., Juris Doctorate
- Honors: With Honors
- University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida
- The Florida Bar
- The American Bar Association
- The American Association for Justice
- Florida Justice Association
- The Jacksonville Bar Association
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- NTSB Bar Association
- Aircraft Owners & Pilot’s Association
Classes & Seminars
- Florida Coastal School of Law, Adjunct law professor teaching courses in Florida Civil & Criminal Procedure, Counseling and Personal Injury Litigation; (Jacksonville, FL., 2006-2016)
- Embry Riddle Aeronautical University; Aviation Law (Daytona Beach, FL. 2006)
- American Bar Association, Ethics and Aviation topics (New York, 2013)
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association, Litigating Claims Against the United States Government, (Whistler, B.C. 2013)
- Airborne Law Enforcement Association, Police Aviation Liability and FAA Enforcement Actions, (Florida 2013) (Phoenix, 2014)
- American Association for Justice, aviation law seminar, Boston, 2017
- Aviation Law & Insurance Symposium, ATC weather litigation (Jacksonville, 2013)
- Florida Justice Association, Florida Civil Procedure Updates. (Aventura, 2009) (Palm Beach, 2010).